Monday, June 29, 2009

Love Makes You Blind

Well it has been a long but a good weekend. I got to spend some down time with some girlfriends and was brave and tried a new dish I've never attempted on my own before. My poor fiance was the guinea pig.

Saturday work was pretty slow, and I was a little stressed the whole time I was there, knowing that Rose was going to come pick me up somewhere between 12:30pm and 1:00pm so we could go to Chantel's and spend some girltime together, have lunch, and watch a couple movies. When they said we could leave after I'd been there about three hours I decided to go ahead and take the early out.

Mom was getting ready to leave when I got home, so I had the house pretty much to myself for a couple hours, spending most of it praticing the piano for my lesson this Wednesday, trying to perfect my Lavender Blue, Lavender Green song. Still having some problems with the timing I think and I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm struggling with it.

Rose came over while I was taking a break from my lesson song and playing Never Smile At A Crocodile. I grabbed my stuff and we headed to Chantel's. Her husband was asleep on the couch when we got there so we hung out at their dining table and just caught up on stuff, having a few laughs and watched while Chantel's two boys claimed all of her attention. Little Asher is trying to stand up and take his first steps now so it won't be long before he is walking around like his big brother Ryker. The boys were very entertaining to watch, Chantel usually changed them at the same time and if Ryker cried, Asher would. Even though Asher had already been changed and had no reason to cry. It is obvious that Ryker is his role model...but that goes the same way for Ryker, because if Asher cried so would Ryker. And usually they'd cry for no reason. It made Rose and I laugh a little.

Asher spent most of his time pulling on the straps of my purse or chewing on my key chains. He found my Metallicar the most appealing as he always went for that one first. Poor little Metallicar. :)

We finally got lunch just before four and afterwards decided to watch 27 Dresses, which was a wasted effort because Ryker kept turning off the TV, upset that we weren't watching cartoons. It was funny at first but then Chantel got really mad and took him in to see his daddy where he got in big trouble. Afterwards he gave it up and started bullying his little brother while Chantel was trying to feed him strained sweet potatoes. Asher kept crying, and who wouldn't if someone kept pushing down on your head and was using it as leverage so they could jump up and down? But eventually he got his dinner in him and Ryker settled down just as the movie ended. Chantel said she liked what she got to see of it, even though that wasn't very much.

Chantel kept busy with Ryker, who decided he wanted to throw some of her decorations at us, and was having a good time doing it. Rose relaxed on the couch, and I kept busy trying to stop Asher from playing with the cords that hooked up the TV as I was the one closest to him. Finally I just picked him up, set him on my hip and began to rock back and forth soothingly. As it was well after seven and with a belly full it didn't take long for Asher to fall asleep. Chantel and Rose both thought it was cute when Asher snuggled into my chest, shoulder, and neck, but continued to sleep contentedly while I rocked him. Chantel is very excited for both Rose and I to have kids so we can get together for play dates.

Rose and I left around 8:30pm or so. I told mom how they'd teased me a little when I told them my worries and fears about being married, but even though they did they understood how I felt. It is so nice to have some friends who've been so supportive of my marrying Mike because a lot of my other friends have been really rude and have said things that have really made me upset. I'm just really glad that I never put any of my friends - or even my sister through what I've gone through. I've always been supportive and encouraging, knowing that what goes around comes around. So I just don't understand why some people are saying what they're saying to me.

Sunday was a bit easier, and harder in some ways. I decided to make stew, which I've never done on my own before. In fact I've never done most of the leg work for it before, usually just watched my mom and then forgot how to do it. Saturday I made a list of the things I'd need and told mom I wanted to do it on my own to see if I could. So before church I browned the meat and put it in the crock pot before I left. I had to leave early because Bishop Britto wanted to talk to me about temple prep classes.

I came home after the first meeting because I had rolls to start, and upon getting home was told the home teachers were coming. President Nielson and his partner came over and talked to us for a little while, and asked if Mike and I were official. Even though we were official at Mary's bridal shower. He brought us some of Mary's cake - far too much for us to eat on our own, so it is probably going to go hard and get thrown out. I started on the rolls after they left, and found it hard with dad in the kitchen scrounging around for something to eat. Finally I kicked him out because the kitchen is too small with him in there while I'm trying to work.

Mike got here about 3:30pm and I discovered that I wouldn't have enough time to do rolls before the stew was ready, so I put those on hold and quickly whipped up some cornbread before finishing the stew. Mom helped a little with the gravy but now I know how to do it so next time I'll be able to do the whole thing on my own. I think that by the time I was done with the stew though I was so sick of stew that I didn't think it tasted that great. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it though and Mike, as usual, was impressed. But he is pretty easy to please. Next time I make it I'll have to make sure Melinda and Brent are available to be guinea pigs. Melinda is an excellent cook and Brent knows good food when he tastes it so I'll let them decide. I had some for lunch today though and it tasted much better than it did yesterday so who knows?

Mike went home soon after that to finish his homework so we could spend a little time together today. We spent it at the pool. We swam around in one of the lanes, usually with him chasing me as he is a much better swimmer than I am. He did laps around me and had fun dragging me around the shallow end of the pool - needless to say I didn't get much excercise. But it was fun to spend the time with him. And I got to see his scar for the first time - although it isn't as bad as he made it out to be. Maybe I'm just not fussy - or maybe it's true what they say. Love makes you blind. :)

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog Candace! Thanks for inviting me. I'm so behind with updating here! My life is nuts. It's fun to see pics of Mike. You're a good couple.

    ReplyDelete