Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cooking Up A Storm

Well this week has been a pretty slow and rather tiring one, but crazy at times too. Work was pretty much dead most of the week so they kept sending us home, so I got to spend more time with Mike. He's almost all the way caught up on the second season of Supernatural now so that's good - almost two down and then only two more to go. We've got a little less than two months to finish getting him caught up - but I think we'll make it.

Mike wanted to try a few new dishes that I make this week. So I made homemade macaroni and cheese on Friday. He doesn't like the boxed kind, and neither do I. It tastes like it is made of fake cheese and it is really rubbery. So when I told Mike I knew how to make homemade macaroni he was really excited - and told me I'd have to show his mom how to do it. He said I couldn't just give her the receipe because she still wouldn't be able to make it. I figured I'd let him try it first to see what he thinks before I had his mom make it. He loved it, which shouldn't really surprise me. He's liked everything I've made so far - he isn't that picky. I had made lasagna early this week as well, and he loves that too - even though he's had it before.

I decided to be brave and invite his parents over for dinner and decided to make cream cheese chicken, a dish I've never attempted before. His parents accepted my invitation and I invited Melinda and Brent over as well, and they too accepted the invitation. I was a little nervous because I'd never made it before so I got started on it early thawing out the chicken and preparing the butter and italian dressing mix so I could put the chicken in the crock pot before I got ready for church.

Mike came over around 12:30 since I was starting my temple prep classes today and asked him if he'd come with me - he'd do just about anything for me so he didn't mind coming along. We had fast and testimony meeting and Mike and I both went up and beared our testimonys. Temple prep class was amazing, I haven't felt the spirit that strong in I don't even know how long! It was the most amazing feeling! We came home after temple prep class so I could finish up details on dinner. I was somewhat relieve, and I'm being honest here, to walk in the door and smell the warm scent of the chicken and when I checked it - just to be sure that the chicken on top was cooking as well I was relieved. I had doubled the amount of chicken called for because we had eight people coming for dinner and I wanted to make sure I'd have enough to feed everyone. So I was happy that the top pieces of chicken were white and not pink.

Arla and Albert arrived around quarter after five or so and Melinda and Brent weren't far behind. Dinner was served shortly after. Mom had dragged out her good china and got the rolls out of the oven while I was putting the corn into a serving dish. Everything was perfect. I was happy that it tasted just as good as when Melinda would make it for us. Albert really enjoyed it - and turned to tell my mom how much he liked it thinking that she'd made it. She explained that I'd made it so he turned around and told me.

Mike told his mom now she knew why he didn't come home for dinner anymore. She said she could think of five good reasons and four of them were on the plate in front of her. Everyone really enjoyed it - so dinner was a success. Melinda brought cupcakes for dessert so we had our choice of what flavors we'd like. I had chocolate peanut butter - but I wouldn't let Mike have both ice cream and a cupcake because his blood sugar has been really high lately. So he had some rocky road ice cream instead. I still want to try some of the blueberry lemonade cupcakes Melinda brought - but it'll have to be later.

But one thing's for sure - I'm feeling better about my cooking skills now that I've stepped out of my box and tried a few new things. It's good to know that I'll have more than five things to feed to Mike after we get married! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment