Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Family Reunion

Mike came and picked us up a little after eight. He had brought his mother's dog Peaches with him, since he had watched her the night before. Jack and Peaches seemed to hit it off, so we loaded the dogs up in the backseat of his car and hit the road.

Mike and I listened to a mixture of music from my iPod, which he'd asked if I'd bring along. It was a relaxing ride for the most part, with only the occasional pockets of rain bouncing off the windshield. The dogs napped in the backseat, and since they each had half, Jack usually napped with his nose up on the door, so only the tip of his nose was visible through the window.

Halfway down Peaches climbed onto my lap, so we stopped at the gas station to get her some jerky since she hadn't eaten at all the night before or that morning. She seemed happy with her treat, and we gave some to Jack as well, then finished off the last leg of our trip without incident.

When we got to the church we discovered that the reunion was being held inside because the wind had kept blowing the decorations and table clothes off the tables outside. Jack, Mike, and I all played outside for a bit before we put him back in the car and headed inside for lunch and activities. Everyone there was very nice and welcoming.

After a barbequed lunch including hotdogs, hamburgers, and side dishes we had a program talking about Mike's great grandparents and grandparents. No one at our table was really listening. I kept distracting Mike by teasing the ends of his hair, rubbing the tip of my finger along his neck, and teasing the sensitive hair on the tops of his ears. He was giggling and jerking away from me because he is ticklish in all of those spots. I was trying hard to control my own giggles as his twin brother Matt reached over and grabbed Mike's knee making him jerk and squirm away. Arla was watching us from across the table suppressing her own laughter while Albert talked loudly to his neighbors.

After the program was over they had a game to see who was listening. Arla knew most of the answers so all the grandkids circled around her asking her what they were so they could get a prize. Mike answered one question correctly, but wasn't acknowledged for it. He pouted about it until Arla said he could have her prize if she won one. She did. Although it was pretty girly as it was a sign with a little wooden girl on it and a bottle of purple bubble bath. Mike decided he could live without a prize after all.

We left soon after the auction started and headed home. Jack was tired and cramped from being in the car most of the day and halfway home decided he wanted a turn to sit on my lap. He was much too big and found that my lap was far too small for him to sit on but he wouldn't budge. Eventually I had to lay my seat flat and push him off my lap to get him to move. He stubbornly laid on the floor while Mike and I played a Disney guessing game - trying to guess which song came from what Disney movie. He lost horribly. But we had a good time.

We got home just before five both of us tired from the long day of traveling and being social, so he didn't linger long. Jack and I went upstairs exhausted and relaxed together on the bed, happy that the day was coming to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment