Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adventures at the house

Well these past few weeks have been interesting. Very trying at times, especially with some people that have really been pushing my buttons. It is has been really frustrating but I usually end up biting my tongue and counting to ten - then, when that doesn't work I recite Metallica lyrics in my head and count the beats to their songs and that helps calm me down.

Mike and I have been busy moving my stuff down to the big house downtown where we will be living until we move to Florida in June. Yes Florida. It's offical now. Mike is going to work on saving up enough money so we can afford to move down there, but Disney has already said they'll take him back so we will be moving down there so he can finish school. It'll be a change - but hey, no more snow! I can live with that. :)

This past week we've had a couple of adventures up at the house. Thursday for instance, my friend Victoria wanted to go up and see our house again, so after work I stopped and picked her up, grabbed a few things from the house and we headed up. When we got there I was a little surprised that Mike wasn't there yet, so I gave him a call. He said he'd be there in a few minutes and that the basement door was open. Not that it matters because I have a house key. So I went in through the basement and started up the stairs, hesitating a little when I heard something banging upstairs. I am still getting used to the noises of the house so I shrugged it off and let Victoria in.

The kitchen is just inside the main doors on the main level and I usually leave my bag there. So imagine my surprise when I walked into the kitchen and something smacked hard against one of the windows. It was a bird! It had flown in through an open window upstairs and was trying desperately to get out. Victoria and I tried to shoo it towards the back door but the poor thing was too scared to think straight and kept smacking into the windows, finally flying into the parlor and living room, trying different windows. I had an idea on how to get it out, so I opened the front door, closed the kitchen doors, the parlor door, the living room door and any other door I could in a chance that I could chase it to the front door, but it could still go upstairs so I was doubtful. At that point Mike came in, in a very bad mood, and I told him we had a new pet. When he simply looked puzzled I pointed to the bird hitting the far parlor window. Mike frowned and walked back into the kitchen to grab the broom to try and shoo the bird towards the front door. I told him we named the bird "Fred". He said Fred wasn't the first bird to come in the house, and I'm sure Fred won't be the last. Once we chased Fred from the parlor he saw the open front door and made a break for it. Fred flew away and was very happy to be free. Hopefully Fred won't be back.

Today Jack and I went down to the house, hoping to finish cleaning the kitchen. Mike said to just head down whenever, so after quickly getting ready and prepping lunch, but not cooking it, Jack and I piled into the car and headed down for the house. Mike was still in church so while Jack napped on the kitchen floor I bustled about grilling two chicken breasts for the homemade chicken pot pie. When Mike arrived I was just putting it into the oven. Mike was in a very good mood after church today so we talked while we finished cleaning what was left to clean in the kitchen then sat down and waited for the pie to finish. After lunch we went upstairs to watch a movie, cuddled underneath two of my Supernatural blankets. Mike brought all the cushions from the loveseat downstairs into our small living room on the second floor so we had some extra comfort. The room was chilly, so Jack snuggled up next to me under the blanket and Mike curled around my other side, I was sandwiched quite comfortably between them. I never finished the movie, and Mike didn't either. All three of us took a nap curled up together. We woke up a couple hours later and I was disgusted to see a large fly had flown into the room and was sitting on the carpet not far from me. I told Jack to go eat the fly, not thinking he'd do it. But once he actually understood what I wanted he pounced on the very large fly, licked it up, spit it out, pounced on it again, licked it up, spit it out, pounced on it a third time, licked it up and it was gone. I couldn't stop laughing while Mike was trying hard to hide the disgust on his face. He didn't do a good job but I was laughing too hard to pay much attention. Jack looked pretty pleased with himself and came over and sat on my lap. He is such a mama's boy.

The house is starting to feel more like home now. All my books and movies are down there. Mike and I decided that the library will be my study, so I have set it up as such. And thanks to some organization it actually looks like it has some stuff in it while still looking neat. Victoria was drooling over my signed Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles photos on Thursday. I took my first bouquet of roses from bridal pictures out this week and now that I know that Mike and I are going to be doing the beluga whale tour again on our honeymoon I pulled out my Arctic tour experience frame and will put a picture of us in it when we get back.

Mike and I hung out in the library after a quick game of cards this afternoon. We read scary stories from one of my books and then had fun giggling at some poetry books I enjoyed when I was little. After that Mike wanted to read some more so I selected Wait Until Helen Comes from my large selection of books and I read the first chapter to him. We decided to make reading with each other a habit, something fun and relaxing that we can both enjoy. I read the first chapter to him, but then we decided to call it a night. He has one assignment he has to turn in today so he wanted to go get that done.

Hopefully we will get more done this week, but that could be doubtful. What with his school and me working full time and then the bridal shower this week...I can't believe it is here already. Time has been flying so fast...I'm going to be married before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment